Pencil Testing Center Policies and Procedures
We encourage teachers at the English Language Center to use class time effectively. Administration of quizzes and tests can use class time that could otherwise be used for instructional purposes. Teachers are encourage to have students take quizzes and tests that would take more than 20 minutes of instructional time in the Pencil Testing Center. If the quiz or test takes less than 20 minutes, class time can be used.
Policies and Procedures
If a teacher chooses to use the ELC Testing Center the following procedures should be followed:
- The ELC Testing Center is available for Reading and Grammar Classes on Fridays between 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. (The 9:00 am hour is reserved for the Academic Word List Vocabulary Tests).
- Teachers sign up for a 50 minute slot on the ELC Testing Center Scheduler at elc.byu.edu/test_scheduler.
- In order to keep students from having two tests at the same hour, the hours are reserved as follows:
- 8:00 am-Academic A Reading, GAP Reading/Vocabulary, Foundations Writing and Structure Classes
10:00 am-Academic B Reading, Academic C Content Classes and Foundations Grammar
11:00 am-Foundations Reading Classes
- If there are no spaces available, you may check with the teacher of the other skill area to make sure they aren't administering a test at the same time. If they aren't, you may schedule at the other hour.
- All tests begin on the hour.
- A maximum of six classes (90 students) can take a test at a given hour.
- To minimize proctoring costs, sign up for rooms 201, 203 and 205 BEFORE signing up for 271, 273 or 275. That way if only 3 classes are taking a test, the proctor for the other room can work on other assignments.
- Teachers must create a Test Cover Sheet that includes the class name, teacher name, test date, test time, test room, and student list. A sample word document can be downloaded here.
- If you are teaching two sections of the same class, it is helpful if the tests are different colors. For example, if you teach Reading AA at 8:15 and 9:30, having the 8:15 class on yellow and the 9:30 class on blue makes it easier to sort when the tests are complete.
- Teachers must have all test materials copied and submitted to the Testing Center Box in 176 UPC by 5:00 pm the Wednesday before the test is to be administered. .
- The unscored tests will be returned to the Testing Center Box Friday afternoon following the administration of the test.